Friday, May 23, 2008

Still So Much to Do!!

Three full days left before we leave...and I am in NO way ready to get on that plane and leave the country for 10 weeks. Mentally and emotionally I am definitely getting there, and a lot more so than I thought I would be, but in terms of getting things together and packing to leave...I am SO not ready!! The next three days will definitely be packed full though, and I am hoping that along with getting all the packing done (I HATE packing, and definitely procrastinate quite a bit with it...) I will be able to spend as much time as possible with my family and some close friends.

I'm not sure if many of you know our itinerary yet for the first few days, so here it is! We leave KCI around 1:30pm on Monday, the 26th, and we'll fly to Detroit from there. We then leave Detroit for Amsterdam at 5:30pm on the 26th, and we'll get into Amsterdam at 7:35am (Amsterdam time-7 hours ahead of Kansas time!). At this point I think we'll all be quiiiiite tired, but we'll leave the Amsterdam airport at 10:30am and arrive in Johannesburg, South Africa at 9:10pm. And if we're not mistaken, they're in the same time zone...which means, YES, that is an 11 hour flight! Oh well, pleeeenty of bonding time, right?! ; ) When we get into Jo-burg we're going to stay at the Backpackers Ritz that evening, and then we'll be leaving the next day, May 28th, at 1:00pm on an Intercape bus for Gaborone, which we'll hopefully arrive in around 9pm that evening. So...that definitely makes for a VERY packed two days, but it is definitely a blessing that we'll be able to stay in Jo-burg and maybe get some okay sleep that first night, and I am sure we will all be crashing as soon as we get into our flats at the University on the night of the 28th!!

I just am so so excited to see what this summer holds, and even though there are definitely times when I can't imagine being gone from home and normalcy and my family and friends for 10 entire weeks, I know this can only be good, and my time in Gaborone and Botswana will be incredible. My team is INCREDIBLE, and I just can't wait to see where we'll all end up working and serving this summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you haven't left for Africa yet how could you have taken that cute picture of that little boy? --Keira

Anonymous said...

YYEEAAA.....you are finally in Africa now! I am so excited for you. I hope you are having a good time. I have been praying for you like crazy! I L*** you!! --Charlie